Effective coaching and mentoring – ILM 5
Effective coaching and mentoring
Principle-based leadership® teaches inside-out leadership. It entails personal and leadership development and generally enlightens and empowers people for the workplace. Often much more so than volume-based training curriculums or extensive business school teaching.
The Effective leadership in modern-day organisations ILM certificate course focuses on modern-day challenges in the world of work. The accelerated speed of change necessitates learning and development in all the areas of leading self, others and change. The learning journey will leverage participants’ potential to be effective in a new world of work. From a leading self-perspective, the course includes self-awareness and adaptability as two key aspects of navigating the often stormy waters of a changing and demanding work.
Building relationships, decision making, leadership style and empowering others are the main focus areas from a leading others perspective in the new world of work. Within the ecosystems that we find ourselves today, our effectiveness is tied in with aspects such as trend and systems awareness, organisational awareness, strategic thinking, cultural awareness, technology awareness and creativity and innovation.
The learning journey will answer the questions about how we can adapt and develop to effectively meet the demands of modern-day organisations. It takes a holistic and integrated approach to leadership in
- Description of self-awareness: What is it and how can it be observed?
- Self-awareness and emotional intelligence
- The power of self-awareness
- Growing self-awareness, emotional awareness and self-control
- Description of adaptability: What is it and how can it be observed?
- Adaptability illustrated
- Adaptability versus conformity
- Types of change
- Our responses to change
- Deep change and theory U
- Becoming more adaptable
- Description of building relationships: What is it and how can it be observed?
- Personal interest and relationship building
- The value of conflict
- Dealing effectively with conflict
- Description of decision-making: What is it and how can it be observed?
- Understanding decision-making in general
- Thinking styles and decision-making
- Decision-making and problem-solving in leadership
- Description of leadership styles: What is it and how can it be observed?
- The need for style awareness and flexibility
- Stability in character but openness to different approaches
- Responsive and responsible leadership
- Description of empowering leadership: What is it and how can it be observed?
- The illusion of control and personal contribution
- Appreciating the value and impact of empowerment
- Encourage, involve, enable
Trend and systems awareness
- Description of trend and system awareness: : What is it and how can it be observed
- Systems thinking approach illustrated
- Systems thinking and complexity
- Recognising trends
- Description of organisational awareness – What is it and how can it be observed?
- Elements of the work organisation
- Building organisational awareness
- Organisational awareness lifecycle
- Alignment, climate and morale
- Description of strategic thinking – What is it and how can it be observed?
- Strategic thinking illustrated
- Strategic thinking for everyone
- The strategic thinking process
- Strategic thinking skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Strategic thinking frameworks and tools
- Description of cultural awareness – What is it and how can it be observed?
- The importance of cultural awareness, sensitivity and competence
- Diversity as a competitive advantage
- Intercultural communication
- Description of technology awareness – What is it and how can it be observed?
- The role of technology in our lives – for better or worse
- Responsible use of technology
- The need for awareness – key trends
Creativity and innovation
- Description of creativity and innovation – What is it and how can it be observed?
- Blockages to creativity
- Creativity at work
- Characteristics of innovative thinkers
- Develop creative and innovative thinking
The full ILM level 5 certificate duration is 12 months. The learning journey can be completed at the participant’s own pace. On average, the sections or modules should take 2 weeks per section/module. It allows time for experiential learning, reflection and feedback. Once completed, the ILM assignments must be done within 12 months of registration. Participants will receive tutor support for the ILM assignment work from the ILM service centre BCF.
You can complete it at your own pace – the only time limit is that the final assignment has to be submitted to ILM within 12 months from registration.
Coaching sessions can be added to the learning journey for in-depth personalised development
- Learning material (text and video)
- Examples/case studies
- Relevant resources
- Experiential learning tasks
- Feedback question
- Coaching sessions can be added for in-depth personalised development
- Middle and senior managers who want to develop their leadership skills in addition to existing managerial skills
- Entrepreneurs and business owners seeking to bolster their leadership abilities and effectiveness
By the end of the programme the participant will be able to:
your mentoring and coaching skills and knowledge and understand where you
need to improve
the role coaching and mentoring plays in organisations
plan and deliver your coaching sessions
your performance as a business coach and mentor
- Plan your
colleagues as effective coaches and mentors